What is an Employer Nomination Scheme What Should You Know Before Applying

What is an Employer Nomination Scheme? What Should You Know Before Applying?

Migrants who plan to move to Australia have different visa options, including study, training, regional, graduate, visitor visa, and other routes. This indicates that applicants can select visa options that suit their needs or that of their family members. 

The employer sponsored visa 186 is a permanent visa that allows Australian workers to sponsor highly skilled overseas workers to come and work in Australia. This visa needs an offer or acceptance of skilled employment in Australia. It is also important that you have specific qualifications and work experience too. In this guide, you will learn important things about the Employer Nomination Scheme Subclass 186.  

Documents You Need to Apply for 186 Visa

Before you apply for the visa subclass 186, you need to have the following documents: 

  • Passport and other identity documents.
  • Evidence of name change (if there is any).
  • Professional licensing. Membership or registration documents.
  • Documents that can prove your work skill and qualifications. Under some conditions, you might be exempt from providing your skills and other qualifications. 
  • Documents that indicate you do not need to fulfil the age criteria (if you are over 45).
  • Submit the documents that prove you have competent English and other similar proofs.
  • Documents for partners or dependants under your visa.
  • Police certificates or military service records that prove you were part of the armed forces in your country.
  • You will require all these documents for the employer nomination scheme subclass 186 to be translated if they are not in English. You will also need to scan those photos to upload them.

You might like to read this: Employer Nomination Scheme Subclass 186: Most Commonly Asked Questions!

What Does the 186 Visa Let You Do in Australia? 

There are 3 streams under the subclass 186 visa and they are as follows:

  • Temporary residence transition stream 
  • Direct entry stream 
  • Agreement stream 

The three streams will be explained in detail:

  • Temporary residence transition stream 

For those who hold the 482 visa and have worked at least three years for their employer in the same nominated occupation, this stream is for them. The employer might want to offer a permanent position to the visa holder. 

  • Direct Entry stream 

The applicants who do not have a subclass 482 visa for the last three years but have the skills and experience can apply for this visa. It is important that you have competent English to apply for this stream.

  •  Agreement stream 

The applicants for whom their employers will sponsor via labour or regional migration agreement can apply for this stream. 

Successful applicants who have fulfilled the 186 visa conditions to acquire the 186 visas can live permanently in Australia. The visa can let you do the following things:

  • Stay in Australia for a long time.
  • Work and study in Australia.
  • Enrol in Medicare and other health-related schemes in Australia.
  • To apply for Australian citizenship if they are eligible. 
  • To sponsor eligible relatives to live permanently in Australia. 
  • Travel to and from the country of Australia for five years from the date the visa has been granted. After this period, applicants need other visa options to return to Australia. 

You might like this: Difference Between Visa Subclass 189, 190 Visa and 186 Visa

Eligibility for 186 Visa:

There are some steps that you need to complete before you are eligible to apply for the subclass 186 visa. If you have a job offer and are nominated by an employer, the first step would be to complete a skills assessment. Specific skill assessment authorities can do this. 

With this, you can show that you have all the relevant skills and qualifications needed to do your job in Australia. If required, you may need to ensure that you completed and passed the English language test under specific organizations. Your employer will be required to nominate you formally, and you will receive a TRN or Transaction Reference Number. You need to include that number on your visa application.

Before you apply for the 186 visa, there are some 186 visa conditions that you need to meet. You should review your 186 visa application to check if you have fulfilled all the criteria. As per the criteria, you need to fulfil the following visa subclass 186 requirements:

  • You must have an eligible occupation. 
  • The applicant needs to be under 45, though there might be exceptions. 
  • You need to have competent English. 
  • Your occupation needs to be on the relevant eligible skilled occupation list. 
  • The applicant must have a positive skills assessment, but this might not apply if:
  1. You are nominated as an academic university faculty head or lecturer at different academic levels by an Australian university. 
  2. If you are nominated as a scientist, technical specialist or researcher by an Australian government agency. 
  3. You currently have a subclass 444 or a subclass 461 visa and have worked for the nominated employee under the nominated position for two years. It needs to be in the last three years before the date you applied for the visa. 
  • You will require having at least three years of relevant work experience in your occupation or profession. However, if you are exempt from the skills assessment requirement, you will also be exempt from the work experience requirement. 
  • You need to be licensed, registered, or a member of an Australian professional body in the territory or state you want to work in.
  • You also need to meet the health requirement. In some cases, you might need to undergo a health examination before your application is approved.  
  • You also need to meet the character requirement, and this is to ensure that you have a good character and do not pose any risk or threat to the citizens of Australia. You may need to provide police certificates from your country or other countries that you have lived in. 

Other than meeting these criteria, you will also require to be nominated by an Australian employer. You cannot be eligible for this visa before being nominated by an Australian employer. 


If you want to apply for the employer sponsored visa 186, you must meet all the requirements and eligibility criteria for this visa. If you want to know more about the visa, you might need the help of a migration agent. The registered Migration Agent Perth can provide you with the best visa agents to aid you in your 186 visa application process. 

Read this: Top 5 Reasons to Hire a Registered Migration Agent Perth