The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is an Australian permanent resident visa which is designed for the point-tested skilled migrants who are not sponsored by the employer, a state or territory agency or a relative in Australia. This visa allows the holders to live and work in Australia indefinitely. Expression of Interest (EOI) is a mandatory aspect to submit a valid application for 189 Visa. EOI can be submitted through SkillSelect and this can be done both onshore and offshore.
New Zealand citizens interested in this visa must apply under New Zealand Visa Stream.
You could apply for Skilled Independent 189 visa if:
You fulfill the below requirements of the Skilled Independent 189 Visa for Australia:
- Be proficient in English Language
- Be less than 45 years of age at the time of application
- Must possess eligible skilled occupation
- Must secure minimum 60 pass marks in the Skilled Migration Points Test
- Must be invited to apply for the skilled visa in Australia
What are the 189 Visa privileges?
The 189 Visa allows the skilled workers to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely as it is a permanent resident visa. With this visa grant you are entitled to travel in and out of Australia for five years and post that you will require the Resident Return Visa (RRV) to move to Australia, enroll in Medicare (a health insurance plan) and avail healthcare services and once you qualify you can bring your eligible family members to Australia and sponsor them for permanent residence.
Eligibility for Visa Subclass 189:
In order to get the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 grant, the applicants must meet the below eligibility criteria:
- They must be nominated and invited by the state or territory government to apply for the skilled visa in Australia.
- Must meet eligible skilled occupation and other requirements to qualify for work in Australia.
- Must be able to satisfy the health and character requirements.
- If you have had visa cancellation during your visit to Australia, you are not eligible to apply for Independent Visa Subclass 189.
Share this information with your friends:
Skilled Independent 189 Visa FAQ’s:
What is the cost of this visa application?
The application cost of Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 is AUD 3,755.
How long it takes to process this visa?
All the 189 Visa applications are processed within 8 to 10 months.
How long does this visa let me stay in Australia?
The Skilled 189 visa lasts forever starting from the date it is granted.
What is an Expression of Interest?
An expression of Interest (EOI) provides information about why applicants need this visa to rank them against other aspiring candidates. You can submit EOI free of cost from anywhere. Once submitted, EOIs are valid for two years.
What are steps to apply for Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)?
- Check your eligibility for skilled occupation if you have 60 points.
- Enter relevant information such as qualification, skills and proposed occupation in the EOI form.
- Hold-up till you get invitation for the visa (if you rank high).
- Collect all the documents.
- You must apply for the visa within 60 days after you have been invited.
- The visa will be processed soon.
Do I have to be in Australia to apply for this visa?
You can apply for the Skilled Independent Visa from in or outsideof Australia.
How long will I have to wait for the invitation to apply for this visa?
The invitation for visa application can be received within time interval of two years after the submission of EOI. It is mandatory to apply for the visa within 60 days.
What should I do if I don’t receive an invitation?
If two years elapse after you have submitted your EOI, you will be notified of the expiration of your EOI. You can submit a fresh EOI if you are still seeking the visa.