Visa Subclass 485

What Are The Available Post-Study Options For International Students In Australia?

Australia is a famous study destination with students worldwide who wish to achieve top-quality education. Every year, many international students enrol in study courses of Australia and add to the already substantial student body around the country.

In 2017, over 799,371 international students took admission to education programs in Australia. Out of these, 350,472 international students enrolled in the higher education courses.

Many international students in Australia study in the higher education sector, followed by the Vocational education and training (VET) sector, English Language intensive courses for overseas students (ELICOS) sector, and school sector. Students apply for their Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 for pursuing any education stream in Australia.

Opportunities For International Students

The data shows that ElICIOS provides a famous pathway for international students who move to VET and higher education sectors. In 2015, about 30% of international students who have completed their higher education courses had completed their studies in the ELICOS actor. 37 % of international students who completed a VET course in 2015 did through an ELICOS pathway.

The foundation courses have also enhanced their popularity, with enrolment numbers rising by 16% each year since 2012 to 28,313 students by 2017. The Student Visa Subclass 500 allows students to remain in Australia for five years for full-time study purposes in an Australian institute.


Following Are Some Post-Study Options To Consider:-

If students want to stay in Australia, they can either get a high qualification or go for post-study work to gain experience in Australia. The experience will be advantageous for students in their later life. However, if one decides to study further and stay back in Australia, they need to check if that is possible with the current Student Visa Subclass 500. If it is not possible, they could apply for a new visa.

Obtain A Temporary Graduate Visa 485 To Continue Your Studies

After graduation, one can think of continuing further studies to get a higher level degree. While studying in the country, one can make the most of their time and get higher technical knowledge and skills to acquire a relevant field.

The Australian student visa expires after a course is completed. So for further studying, one can apply for Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485. This temporary visa lets a student stay for 18 months to 4 years, depending on the chosen stream and qualification level.

As per this visa, one of them is the Graduate workstream, and the other is a post-study work visa. For the GWS, one needs to have a diploma or trade qualification and get a positive skill evaluation. This stream allows the holder to stay for 18 months.

Comparatively, for the PSWW stream, one has to hold either bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate. They can stay for two to four years in Australia to complete higher studies relevant to the qualification.

Applying for the PSWV under visa subclass 485 can benefit higher studies as one can stay for an enhanced period.

Stay In Australia For A Longer Time

Staying for a long period in Australia can offer a person with the following options:

  • Improve Skills

    The temporary graduate visa 485 can enable a person to stay back in Australia for one and a half years to four years, during which one can study and work. It can be an excellent option for international students who want permanent residency.
  • Obtaining Professional Work Experience

    If a person has achieved their degree in computer science, engineering and accounting, they can apply for a professional year program. Through this program, one can enhance their skills and, after completing the program, can earn 5 points in a point test of skill migration. This can help them get an Australian PR.
  • Travelling in Australia

    After studying, one can take a break and return to their home country. On the other hand, they can also choose to stay back in Australia for tourism purposes, but a Visitor Visa 600 has to be applied. This visa allows one to stay for 3 to 12 months.
  • Get A Working Holiday

    If a person’s age is between 18 and 30, they can apply for a working holiday visa. This visa can let one travel and work in Australia for 12 months. Two working holiday visas differ in length of stay.

When one holds a Working Holiday Visa 417, one can apply for a second visa after three years in a specific area. But another holiday visa named Working Holiday Visa 462 does not have that option.

Pathways for Australian PR

There are two pathways for an Australian PR, they are-

  1. Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189

    This visa is a permanent resident visa that lets holders live and study anywhere in Australia. To apply for visa 189, one has to be sponsored by their employees. The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 also needs an invitation from the Department of Home Affairs. There are two streams under this: the New Zealand and the pointed tested streams.
  2. Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190

    This permanent residence visa allows candidates that are nominated by a relevant authority. With the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190 one can stay and work anywhere in Australia. For nominated occupations, they need to submit a positive, skilled assessment.

Make A Job-Seeking Strategy

Once graduation is completed, the Student Visa 500 expires. If one wants to get a job, one needs to plan. There are some tips through which one can get a good job-

  • Once the course is nearing its end, one has to start looking for jobs.
  • It will involve various proceedings, and therefore all the rules and regulations are needed to be known.
  • One needs to contact the career development section of their university for resources.
  • Once a visa expires, one cannot stay further in Australia, so timing is important.
  • Having good connections and networks.
  • One needs to prepare a good resume.

Return To Your Country Of Origin

After staying in a foreign country, it will be tough for a person to pack things and move. While leaving, they need to cancel several housing services, close accounts and pay final bills. Applying for a Bridging Visa can help one stay longer in Australia to make the required arrangements.


Book Your Consultation With Immigration Agent Perth

Various registered Migration Agent Perth can offer student help regarding filling visa forms to stay further in Australia or for education purposes. In Perth, Australia, the immigration consultant in Perth helps various overseas students in filling application forms and providing them permanent residency in the country.

Various immigration agents in Perth allow overseas students to stay in Australia permanently by filling various education, working, and tourism visa forms. One could associate with Immigration Agent Perth to get the best agents that can help in explaining the functions of various visas. These professionals can help applicants understand Australia’s migration rules and apply for the correct visa.