Best Ways To Stay Longer In Australia

Best Ways To Stay Longer In Australia

Australia is a nice place to stay. It has often been found that people come to Australia either for work or for higher studies but end up staying much longer. Well, there are visa options that make this happen. A number of visa subclasses are there and you may qualify for one but you need to know about them. The following post explains those visa routes and how you can avail them to extend your stay in Australia.

1. Second-Year Working Holiday Visa

If you are in Australia on a Work Holiday Visa (WHV) which has expired, you are eligible to extend your stay for another year. That means you are eligible for a 2nd WHV visa provided you meet the requirements. This is one of the simplest ways to extend your stay in Australia.

To be eligible for a second Work Holiday Visa

• You need to be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of visa application

• You must have done a minimum of 88 days of specified work during your first Working Holiday Visa. The specified work may include farm work, fruit picking or construction work in a regional area in Australia.

• The second-year Working Holiday Visa can either be applied by staying inside or outside of Australia.

With this visa, you can work for 6 months with one of the employers within one year of 2nd WHV application. If you apply for a second Work Holiday Visa while staying in Australia, it becomes functional once your first Working Holiday Visa expires. Currently, it takes 2-3 weeks to get this visa processed. When you go for a last-minute application, you become eligible for a bridging visa. The good news is that from 1st July 2019 onwards some of the visa holders are eligible for a WHV for the third time provided they take up six months of specified regional work before their 2nd WHV expires.

2. Student Visa

Australia is known for providing high-quality education experience with a wide range of options. You can complete a course in Australia with a student visa 500 by enrolling yourself in a language course, diploma or degree course or any other course you may wish to pursue. You will be eligible for:

• Study full-time and work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours a week during semesters

• Work full-time during semester holidays

• The validity of the student visa would depend on the duration of the course you undertake

If you are already staying in Australia on a tourist, working holiday or any other type of visa, you are eligible to apply for a student visa while staying there. If you apply at the last minute, you can obtain a bridging visa while your student visa gets processed. However, you need to submit confirmation of enrollment issued by the training provider at the time of the visa application. You should have enough funds to support yourself and pay your tuition fees.

3. Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 Visa

The TSS or Temporary skill shortage visa subclass 482 is suitable for those who can get a job in an Australian organization. The 457 visa has been replaced by the TSS 482 visa.

Things to know about TSS 482 Visa

• You can make an application for this visa if your occupation is listed in the Government’s occupation list that includes STSOL, MLTSSL or the ROL and the employer meets the eligibility criteria for sponsorship

• The TSS 482 Visa has to be renewed at least every 4 years

• You can include the names of a dependent family member during the visa application

• While you are on TSS 482 Visa or business sponsorship visa, you are eligible to apply for permanent residency or PR visa depending on age, occupation and English language skills

4. Skilled Migration Visa

The Australian Skilled Migration visa is one of the pathways to obtain permanent residency in the country.


• This visa is approved on the basis of points and the points are given for age, qualification, work experience, family members or close relatives living in designated areas in Australia and other parameters. You need to secure at least 60 points to become eligible.

•  If you are sponsored by a state requiring workers with your skill sets, it will fetch you some additional points

• You need to lodge an Expression of Interest and have a positive skill assessment in your occupation as part of the application process. Following this, the government may invite you for a visa application.


You can include dependent family members and they will be eligible for PR. You don’t need to pay overseas scholar fees when your children attend school in Australia. You will have the option to apply for citizenship after 4 years.

5. Partner Visa

You are eligible to apply for a partner visa if you have an Australian partner or an eligible New Zealand partner. The most common type of partner visa is an 820/801 partner visa, 309/100 partner visa, prospective marriage visa, and New Zealand citizen family relationship temporary visa.

You need to prove that you are in a genuine relationship with your partner and proof of living together. The length of time for which you need to provide the evidence depends on the type of partner visa being applied for. The waiting time can be reduced by registering the relationship depending on the state you currently live in.

Also, Read-  Know The Best Way To Enter Australia Through Visa Subclass 186

6. Training Visa (407)

The Training visa (407) allows you to live and work as an occupational trainee in Australia for a maximum period of 2 years. This visa enables you to work for your sponsor company as well as be a part of a structured training program. However, the employer must nominate you and inform you about the learning areas of the training program in detail. You can include your family members and can apply from inside or outside Australia.

7. Regional Visa

The Australian government has introduced a number of new regional visas which have been effective from 16th November 2019. The Regional visa has replaced the 494 skilled employer-sponsored visas. This visa has made more than 700 occupations eligible. Being a points-based visa, the Regional visa provides a pathway to permanent residency after five years.

Get in touch with the best Immigration Agent Perth

There are registered immigration agents who can assist you if you want to obtain permanent residency in Australia. So if you have any questions and need the best visa assistance, get in touch with top Immigration Agent Perth. They will help you throughout the visa process.